Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Post Two


There is often a long delay between the time an individual starts experiencing the symptoms of a mental illness and when they actually seek help. The main reason cited by those individuals is the fear of the stigma of mental illness being attached to them. Unfortunately, the stigma doesn't seem to disappear after a person has sought help for their symptoms either, as this article states "Nine out of ten mental-health patients felt that the stigma associated with the illness was more difficult to deal with than their actual conditions."
However, there are people out there actively fighting to put an end to the stigma of mental illnesses. Recently, comedian and television host Wayne Brady came forward and spoke about his struggle with depression. Brady revealed that he had suffered from depression and suicidal thoughts as far back as 2006, but it wasn’t until the suicide of his idol, Robin Williams, earlier this year that he decided to finally seek professional help. He said that if sharing his personal story helps someone then it “was all worth it.”

Other celebrities have also spoken up about being diagnosed with mental illnesses. Lady Gaga read an emotional letter aloud to the audience in London’s O2 arena in late 2013 from a fan that said he had attempted suicide, but had found comfort in her music. Lady Gaga then admitted that she herself takes medication everyday for a mental illness and is not ashamed about it. She confided that six months earlier she didn’t even want to continue her career in music, and then credited her boyfriend in helping her carry on.

In 2004, actress Glenn Closes’ sister Jessie came to her and told her she wanted to die. After admitting Jessie to the hospital, where she was diagnosed with bipolar disorder, Glenn was inspired to help others as well. She then cofounded “Bring Change 2 Mind,” a foundation that attempts to counter the stigma and silence surrounding mental disorders. The nonprofit makes PSAs and aims to act as a portal to other organizations that can provide screenings, support, and treatment to those with mental illness.

It’s never easy to share your personal issues with others and make yourself vulnerable, so what these celebrities have done is actually very brave. Hopefully when more people come forward others will realize that mental disorders are just as legitimate as any physical condition, and those suffering from mental illness deserve as much respect as those without. No one chooses to be sick, and instead of pushing people with mental disorders down, we should be trying to lift them up.

8 comments:

  1. Great post! So many celebrities suffer from mental illness that I sometimes lose count. I actually find those who have mental disorders as being some of the most interesting and creative people I have ever met. It's terrible that the stigma holds so many people back from speaking up as you have presented. Researchers have also found a link between bipolar disorder and intelligence. Check it out here - http://psychcentral.com/lib/intelligence-linked-to-bipolar-disorder/0005518

    In addition to the stigma, many people diagnosed with mental disorders also dislike the medications available to treat their illness. It's been mentioned countless times that it makes them feel like they are in a daze all day so they eventually stop taking their meds. I hope one day doctors learn to cure these mental illnesses instead of just treating them or at least develop medications with fewer side effects. Thank you for discussing this topic and shedding some light on the situation surrounding it.

    Here are so more names of celebrities with mental illness:
    Jim Carrey - Bipolar Disorder
    Katherine Zeta Jones - Bipolar Disorder
    Mel Gibson - Bipolar Disorder
    John Nash - Schizophrenia
    Buzz Aldrin - Depression
    Roseanne Barr - Depression
    Ludwig van Beethoven - Bipolar Disorder
    Terry Bradshaw - Depression
    Marlon Brando - Depression
    Kurt Cobain - Bipolar Disorder
    Charles Dickens - Depression
    John Claude Van Damme - Bipolar Disorder

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice post. I think it’s very important to encourage people with mental illness to express their emotions. I feel doctors have a very important role in this. People with mental illness should be thoroughly motivated. I think the hospital should provide such people with classes on how to move in the society and how to express their emotions. Having being afflicted by a disorder should be treated same as someone has been afflicted by diabetes or AIDS.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Depression and other mental illness are hard to deal with in many cases. They are not like a cold that just stays there for a few days and you will be fine afterwards, but it constantly tortures you. I think it is very important for people to find treatment for their mental disease as it really does affect daily life. I personally suffered from serious depression about two years ago and my way to deal with it was to drink a lot. It is certainly a very unhealthy way to deal with it but it did get me over the painful depression, and now I am just one happy man.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really good post, just goes to show that even those that seemingly have it all when it comes to money and fame aren't immune to mental illnesses. Depression and other mental health issues cannot be medicated away nor can they be truly understood as of now, and I think more people need to learn about how to be sensitive towards those who suffer from these diseases and how to assist them if at all possible. Having these celebrities come forward with their stories I think will be a great help moving forward as far as spreading awareness about mental illness in general, and I hope people (myself included) can continue to gain knowledge and sympathy for those who have mental and emotional disorders.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a great read. I had no idea Wayne Brady struggled with depression. The people that we look up to and see laughing and smiling on TV seem to be the ones hiding the most pain. It is incredibly sad when we realize they are putting on a front to make us smile and putting our happiness above their own.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really nice post, and very brave of Mr. Brady for coming forward about his illness. I happen to agree; I do think the stigma of having said illness often precludes people from seeking help. I don't have the data to prove it, but I tend to think this is truer of men than of women. Generally speaking, men are expected to "man up" and get over whatever they are feeling. Indeed, the culture is set so women are free to express their emotions, while men are expected to bury them. This is reinforced from an absurdly early age: "Don't cry!", "you're being a little girl," et al. Like all things, I do thing the culture is starting to evolve away from these gender-normative archetypes. That said, we've got a long way to go. Hopefully more public figures, like Mr. Brady, will continue to speak out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are definitely right. I mean I feel like nowadays we make such a joke about being ‘bipolar’ or being a spaz, which in fact is us just being really insensitive to the existing conditions. I feel now as we have more information on these types of mental diseases, more and more public figures are coming out to world by discussing their struggles. I mean Michael J Fox left the media because of his Parkinson’s but then created a show, in which he was able to practice his craft once more. I just think that with more and more support groups it is easier for people to find an outlet in which they can learn how to cope with their mental illness.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great post! You are absolutely right that it is easier to hide our pain and suffering than to be stigmatized and violated of our personality. It is indeed brave that these celebrities have come forward and voiced their opinions in hopes to help others who maybe hiding behind the illness so as to not be judged and discriminated. It is nothing to be shameful about of hide about as you have no control of these situations. Instead we should all help them and provide them with a warm and brighter future.

    ReplyDelete